Solar LED Street Light: Why Is It So Popular? Full-time JobMar 31st, 2022 at 06:42 Public Service Basildon 69 views
Solar LED Street Light: Why Is It So Popular?
The LED technology has significantly made the street lights more eco-friendly by reducing the amount of energy consumption. However, most of the existing street lights often face the problem of energy shortages. We can end this dependency on conventional sources of energy to power the street lights by harnessing the sun's power.
Solar LED Street Lights are popular because they are designed to produce light 90% more efficiently than any other street light. The LED technology converts almost 95% of the energy into light. On the contrary, incandescent street light bulbs convert only 10% of the energy into light while 90% is wasted as heat.
In addition to its efficiency, governments around the world are promoting the use of solar energy and LED technology to reduce their carbon footprint without compromising on the availability of energy.
How Does Solar Street Light Work?
Solar street lights are never at the risk of running out of power because they’re based on the most abundant and perpetual source of energy in the world-the sun.
They are designed to be compact and self-sufficient in terms of their power source. The solar panel captures the daylight energy and store it in the battery unit, which powers the street light as required when it is dark.
Today, most solar-powered street lights systems are controlled by sensors.
To maximize the efficiency of solar street light, we have to consider optimizing its components to reduce costs and overall energy usage. The solution is to use energy-efficient technology like LED Street Lights.
How Do I Choose The Best Solar Street Light?
The outdoor solar street lights come in different shapes, sizes, and capacities. There are many alternatives available in the solar LED street light market. Before you decide on the best solar street light, you should consider it in terms of quality, features, design, power consumption, durability, and the most important, customer service.
The choice of a solar street light depends on the place and purpose of its application. The solar street lights requirements for household use are maybe quite different from that of businesses and communities. We have gone through several brands and products of solar LED street lights to help you with your decision.
The following section includes the 10 best LED solar street lights that we picked and tested, along with their ranking and reviews.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Using LED Street Lights
Now in cities, street lights can be seen everywhere, and they provide convenience and safety for our life every day. After a long period of development, LED lights are now mostly used in street lights. Compared with high-pressure sodium lamps, the use of LED street light has more benefits.
1.It is a unidirectional light source, without light diffusion, ensuring light efficiency.
2.The LED street light has a unique secondary optical design, which irradiates the light of the lamp to the area that needs to be illuminated, while this further improves the light efficiency to achieve the purpose of energy saving.
3.The luminous efficiency of LED has reached 110-130lm/W, and there is still a lot of space for development, with a theoretical value of 360lm/W. The luminous efficiency of high-pressure sodium lamps increases with the increase of power. Therefore, the overall luminous efficiency of LED street lights is stronger than that of high-pressure sodium lamps.
4. The color rendering of LED street lights is much higher than the high pressure sodium lamps. The color rendering index of high pressure sodium lamps is only about 23, while the color rendering index of LED street lights is above 75. From the perspective of visual psychology, to achieve the same brightness, LED light is more than 20% lower than high pressure sodium lamp.
5. The light decay of LED light is small, it is less than 3% in a year, and it still meets the road requirements after 10 years of use, while the high-pressure sodium lamp has a large decay, which has dropped by more than 30% in about a year. Therefore, the design of the power of the LED street light can be lower than high-pressure sodium lamps.
6. The LED street light has an automatic control energy-saving device, which can achieve the greatest possible reduction in power and energy saving under the condition of meeting the lighting requirements at different times. It can realize computer dimming, time period control, light control, temperature control, automatic inspection and other humanized functions.
7. It can be used for more than 50,000 hours and provides three-year quality assurance. But the disadvantage is that the battery life cannot be guaranteed.
8.Using chips ≥100LM, LED street light can save more than 75% of energy compared with traditional high pressure sodium lamps.
9. It′s easy to install, no need to add buried cables, no rectifiers, etc., directly connect to the light pole or nest the light source into the original lampshade.
10. Excellent heat dissipation control: The temperature in summer is controlled below 45 degrees, and passive heat dissipation is adopted, and the heat dissipation in summer is insufficient.
11. Reliable quality: All circuit power supplies use high-quality components, and each LED has individual overcurrent protection, so there is no need to worry about the damage.
12. Uniform light color: No lens is added, and uniform light color is not sacrificed to improve brightness, so as to ensure uniform light color without aperture.
13. LED does not contain harmful metal mercury, and will not cause harm to the environment when it is scrapped.
Types of indoor lighting
After thousands of years of living with very natural forms of lighting such as moonlight, campfires and candles a massive change came in the late nineteen century. Along came Edison with his incandescent light bulb and DC electricity, and a few years later Tesla with his Alternating Current (AC) electricity.
In the 1940s, fluorescent lighting took off and in the 1960s came LED lights in various colours. The white bright light LEDs are a much more recent invention, really only coming into play from 2010.
This brings us to the two main types of indoor lighting when it comes to the quality of light: thermal lights and non-thermal lights.
Thermal lights are made from heat. With non-thermal lighting, heat isn’t used but other technologies.
Thermal lights include incandescent (that is, old school light bulbs and halogens) whereas non-thermal lights include LED and fluorescent (or any type of energy saving lights, otherwise known as CFLs).
Incandescent light bulbs and halogens are therefore more akin to daylight. Not only because the light is a product of heat but the spectrum of light is also fairly similar to natural light. There are no severe peaks and troughs, the spectrum is gradual and it’s also full of colours. They primarily give off light in the yellow, orange, red, and infrared spectrum.